Friday, March 2, 2012

To bother or not to bother

Neither blogger nor Youtube are allowing me to share my video. If you would like to see it please visit the link. I actually really like the way the video turned out. The food looks delicious.


The Cora breakfast adventures continue. My friend Julie and I went out again to sample another item on the menu. I had to flip a coin for both of us to decide what we would devour. Still confused, I asked a young couple beside me if they had enjoyed their meal. The guy had ordered what I had intended and so I thought I'd get a direct review. They must have been surprised because the girl blushed and giggled with that, "why are you talking to us look."

 I personally don't find it odd to ask the next table for a quick yes or no answer to a question. I'm not one to fully interrupt their meal to make chit chat, but if I'm paying money for something and there happens to be someone beside me who has just bought the same item, I see no harm in asking, "would you recommend it?"

After they had left, an elderly woman sat in their place. She had bags with her and a newspaper. I presumed she was grabbing a bite to eat alone, while she caught her shopping breath. My friend continued chit chatting, but I noticed the woman glancing over at me occasionally. When she first arrived she looked over at my meal, and ordered the same thing. At first I assumed she was looking at me because I was filming Julie and I's hangout, which is not common to most people. But even after I put my camera away, she continued with the friendly glances. I smiled over and she smile back--a lovely smile. 

When I eat out alone, I often feel one of two ways: 1. Please don't bother me. 2. Please bother me. The general public cannot differentiate between the two demeanors, and so I'm usually bothered when I don't want to be or left alone when I'd like to be bothered. Possibly because I do eat out alone often I can tell the difference, and this woman wanted to be bothered. 

So I did.

My friend was discussing a root canal and I mentioned how it was one of my dreaded fears, looking over at the woman as I said it. She quickly joined the conversation and for the next half hour the three of us engaged in laughter and opinions. It was one of the best breakfasts I've had. My friend said she very much enjoyed talking to the woman and wished she could talk to strangers more often.

So often we ignore people when we are out. Possibly because we get the reaction the first couple gave me, which makes us feel bothersome. But even if you don't want to have a conversation, a friendly smile can make someone's day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adelaide, I enjoy your blog, and I love this post. It is so true.
    I wanted to let you know that I was nominated for a Liebster Blog Award, and now I am passing it on to you!

    ReplyDelete